This post may contain affiliate links meaning I earn money from companies mentioned in this post at no additional cost to you. Read full disclosure here
There are many reasons why your hands can become dry and cracked. It could be from too much hand washing, using the wrong soaps and detergents, not moisturizing enough or even vegetables. Yes, there are some vegetables that cause your hands to be dry. Whatever the reasons are, you need hand creams for dry and cracked hands because it can be very discomforting.
Washing your hands is hygienic to avoid the spread of micro-organisms like viruses and bacteria. However, the handwashing process in a bid to get rid of pathogens also has side effects. Its side effect is that it removes traces of sebums and lipids that protect the skin barrier which eventually causes hand dryness
Handwashing is just one of the causes of dry hands, there are others as well.
Causes Of Dry, Cracked Hands
Some vegetables such as garlic, onions, tomatoes, carrot and ginger are common causes of dry hands. Studies have shown that these irritations are very common in cooks and housewives. In which garlic and onion are the highest sensitizers.
Soaps And Detergents
Studies have shown that frequent handwashing with soap, constant dampness of your hands and frequent use of disinfectants such as sanitisers to prevent infections can cause hand irritation. I am not trying to say, don’t wash your hands often. It is very important that you do but it is also important you pay attention to your hands as well to prevent premature aging and irritation of the skin.
You might notice that your hands start getting irritated showing cracks, dryness, itchy, and other forms of irritation. The affected hands become prone to pathogens making it easier for bacteria to replicate. This may lead you to pass infections to another person without you knowing it. In order to avoid further spread of infection, it is vital to keep your hands well hydrated after washing. This means the application of moisturizers will help put back lipids on the surface of the skin to create a smooth, soft, well-hydrated, and improved skin appearance.
Wetting Hands Too Often
Just like the above but without soap and detergents. Wetting your hands too often decreases the protective layer of the skin and increases further skin irritation.
Tips To Moisturize And Hydrate Your Hands
1. When looking out for hand creams, look for one that is thicker than your body lotion. Basically, you would want to use hand cream because the consistency is thick and it locks in moisture to keep your hands healthy and hydrated.
2. Hand cream usually contains up to 40% oil, 5-15% humectant and 45-80% water which makes it more preferable compared to normal body moisturizers.
3. Hand creams that add silicone derivatives to their products are more water-resistant for up to 4-6 handwashing than those without silicone derivatives.
4. Lastly, most hand creams contain glycerin, petrolatum, and dimethicone to help seal in moisture making it last longer.
10 Best Hand Creams For Dry And Cracked Hands
You don’t have to look too far. This product is pure petroleum Jelly that locks in moisture to keep your hands well hydrated. It works well, one of the best occlusive products in the market.
Don’t like Vaseline because it is too greasy, this is a great option for you. Aquaphor healing ointment contains petrolatum, glycerin and panthenol to keep your hands moisturized. It is specially formulated for dry hands.
Great hand cream with skin barrier repairing ingredients such as ceramides, hyaluronic acid and petrolatum. It does not feel greasy at all and is great for all skin types.
Love this hand cream. Just a tiny bit goes a long way. The product is housed in a tube and comes out like a paste. Amazing hand cream.
This hand cream is non-greasy and very soothing on the skin. Aside from the hands, you can apply this cream to other dry places on your body. It contains Collodial oatmeal and rich emollients to keep your skin hydrated.
Lots of users swear by this hand cream to keep their hands soft and moisturized. It is a light cream, non-greasy and fragrance-free.
Great hand cream if you are looking for sun protection. Non-greasy and slides into the skin so well. Perfect for dry hands caused by frequent handwashing.
Dove has really expanded in the market place and they have made a name for themselves. Their products can be found in most drugstores or the marketplace.
This hand cream by Dove is non-greasy and is easily absorbed into the skin. It contains antioxidants such as vitamin C, E and B to ward off any free radicals and emollients to keep the hands nice and supple.
This product is remarkably inexpensive as it contains all the ingredients that help the hand stay healthy and hydrated. It contains antioxidants and humectants to keep the seal in and provide long-lasting moisture.
This is an impressive formulation especially if you are looking for a hand cream that is not expensive and well rounded great for dry hands.
This is an Isreal brand skincare product that contains different emollients such as almond, coconut, jojoba, avocado and shea butter to reduce transepidermal moisture loss. It also comes with antioxidants to help with very dry hands and cuticles.
It comes at a very great price too.
5 Tips For Dry Hands Treatment With Hand Creams
- It is essential that you do not use hot water when washing your hands, doing this will strip the oils on the skin and dry out your hands. Make sure you are using lukewarm water instead of hot water.
- Moisturize your hands after you have finished washing them. The perfect time to moisturize is when your hands are moist because that will lock in moisture from the water used. If you put hand creams on after drying out your hands, you may not get a lot of benefits from the moisturizer
- If a moisturizer claims to be anti-aging without sunscreens in it, ensure you get a sunscreen. That way the anti-aging ingredients of the hand cream will work effectively.
- Avoid moisturizers with strong fragrances in it because fragrances will likely cause skin sensitivity in the long run.
- No matter the “12-hour” claims of hand creams from manufacturers. Washing your hands frequently will likely strip the hydrating properties of the hand creams so you might need to re-apply.
Dry hands have a lot of causes but if you notice you got dry hands lately, check out what you have been doing lately. Also, the causes and tips in this post will help you figure out why your hands are dry. I hope you got at least one good hand cream for dry cracked hands in this post.